Whenever I’m feeling a bit unsure or confused about life I like to think about the fact that out of 250 million sperm I was the chosen one. This is true for every human being on the planet — in other words, WE MADE IT.
To fully understand how important this point is, let’s have a quick biology lesson about how fetuses form.
During the process of conception, approximately 250 million sperm are competing to fertilize an egg. For a sperm to succeed at this goal it has to overcome a number of challenges:
– The acidic environment of the vagina kills some off quickly before they can reach the cervix.
– They have to navigate their way to the egg’s location without GPS. Some of them wander off in the wrong direction
– They’re swimming in competition with millions of other sperm with the same goal.
– The egg has to actually be there when it arrives (ovulation). If the sperm gets there too early or too late, it’s a no go.
– There are two Fallopian tubes — if the sperm gets to the wrong one, well that’s that.
– If the egg is there the sperm has to be the FIRST to push its head into the resilient exterior of the egg. Hundreds of other strong sperm are trying to do the same thing.
– Once the sperm does make it inside, it has to still be energetic enough to activate its cells with the egg’s and create a person.
That sperm is me. That sperm is you. That sperm is a fighter and a winner.
We are not mistakes. We are not losers by any stretch of the imagination. Our outer environment (the media, peers, family members, teachers) may tell us that we are “not enough” in one way or another, but it’s just a lie.
We were put here for a reason. Each of us came here to do something amazing. Why the heck else would our “stock” (the sperm we were formed from) be so strong and resilient in the face of so much adversity?
So keep that “250 million” thought handy whenever you’re feeling insecure or unsure about yourself. Keep it handy whenever you’re feeling worthless or useless. Keep it handy when you’re wondering what your purpose is here and if you even have a purpose.
You beat out 250 million other living entities and came out on top. That means you and I are really special and powerful, so I think it’s time we start acting like it.
Lynn Gilliard is a writer and transformational blogger. She is the author of a self-help guide entitled Survive, Live or Thrive? and a popular relationship guide entitled Let Him Chase YOU.